DO YOU MAKE PATIENT CARE A PRIORITY? WE DO. IF YOU DO, JOIN OUR TEAM TODAY!
PathCare is a partnership of pathologists in private practice across South Africa that has been assisting doctors and healthcare professionals determine and confirm diagnoses since 1922. We are registered with the HPCSA (Health Professions Council of South Africa) and all our laboratories are SANAS accredited.
An opportunity exists for an Area Manager to join and lead the Cape Town Reference Laboratory.
The Reference Laboratory is positioned to provide esoteric laboratory testing for the group with cognisance of the service delivery demands experienced by referring laboratories.
We are seeking a seasoned/experienced individual with a proven track record of managing and leading a sizeable laboratory in a very complex, dynamic and challenging environment and whose personal impact includes the successful execution of business strategy and achievement of medical and business outcomes. Critically, this track record must include motivating and engaging employees, responding to the service delivery needs of referring laboratories and positively interacting with stakeholders at all levels.
The successful candidate should consistently align with as well as achieve and embody the PathCare purpose and values. They should also have a proven track record of advanced communication and conflict management, as well as exceptional administrative ability in adherence with operational and support department processes and policies.
Ideally, the successful candidate will also meet both our operational excellence and transformation/employment equity goals.
Key Competency Requirements
- Minimum 3-year Clinical Medical Technology qualification (or equivalent, if applicant has a medical technician qualification with extensive technical experience), preferably in at least 2 technical disciplines
- Current registration with the HPCSA
- Must have a postgraduate business degree/diploma
- Intermediate computer literacy (LIMS, Microsoft Office)
- Minimum of 10 years’ management experience at laboratory manager level preferably in a large laboratory
- Proven laboratory management experience with positive medical and business outcomes
- Must be familiar with support department policies and procedures
- Must have a proven track record of displaying values-based leadership abilities and outcomes
- General management (e.g., planning, organising, leading and motivating people, other assets and resources, processes, financial systems and controls)
- Experience in QC review processes and experience in maintaining QA systems including SANAS audits
- Experience in technical procedure development and implementation
- Experience in staff training and development
- Experience of critical review of business and/or laboratory processes/systems on a continuous basis and proactively address any shortfalls/gaps
- Advanced interpersonal relations and conflict resolution skills
- Effective verbal and electronic communication skills
- Advanced administrative ability
- Effective decision-making, planning and project management skills
- Advanced analytical problem-solving ability
- Emotional intelligence
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and display drive, resilience and tenacity in challenging situations
- Ability to foster trust through fair and consistent behaviours/actions, humility and compassion and an unwavering high regard for confidentiality
- Ability to proactively and positively influence and motivate staff evoking a sense of purpose, effectively lead change management and focus on team building and conflict management
- Ability to play a proactive and positive role in the performance management of staff which includes coaching and mentoring others by providing instruction, positive models and the opportunity to observe and learn
- Presentation skills
- Ability to understand and manage financial statements/materials management
- Ability to interact with pathologists on any operational matter pertaining to the Reference Laboratory
Impact on the implementation of PathCare strategies & policies and managing operational resources
- Provide impeccable support to PathCare referral laboratories’ service delivery goals
- Provide strategic and operational planning input for the area operations together with Business Partner, and report progress and results to senior management
- Execute and achieve PathCare strategies & policies within the area
- Support and ensure adherence and implementation of PathCare policies, procedures and organisational structure, as well as statutory compliance and adherence to corporate governance
- Implement strategic and special projects across the area
- Implement and achieve operational excellence and transformation goals throughout Area, departmental and organisational levels
- Elevate and professionalise business management and leadership thinking, ethos, processes, practices and outcomes
Impact on business systems, processes & operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Lead and direct the area
- Drive and support long-term operational excellence and growth
- Manage and optimize operational resources (financial, human & capital resources),
- Collaborate with managers across the region/Group and divisions to maximise the efficiency of the operations of the area/region/Group
- Oversee technical procedure development and implementation
- Critically review processes/systems on a continuous basis and proactively address any shortfalls/gaps
- Implement project initiatives throughout the area, including LEAN processes
Harnessing the value of people
- Proactively support and communicate the PathCare purpose and values which includes modelling mindsets, attitudes and behaviours aligned to the purpose and values
- Implement and embody the one@PathCare organisational culture
- Create a work environment which stimulates morale and the productivity of employees and drives employee engagement
- Foster trust through fair and consistent behaviours/actions, humility and compassion and an unwavering high regard for confidentiality
- Build capacity and develop skills within the operational team (i.e., Laboratory Managers) by offering support, coaching and mentoring and by giving them clear objectives and work plans
- Manage and conduct performance reviews for all subordinates in the Area to drive strategic alignment within the organisation strategy and performance management framework, as well as create a culture of performance and customer focus
- Play a proactive and positive role in performance management of staff which includes coaching and mentoring others by providing instruction, providing the opportunity to engage with positive role models and the opportunity to observe and learn
- Engage in behaviours that will allow you to manage conflict in a proactive and professional manner
- Successfully influence and motivate staff while effectively leading change and management initiatives and contributing to positive team dynamics
- Ensure the talent management of core and critical skills which includes empowering employees so as to further develop a talent base that supports performance excellence and transformation
- Support and ensure adherence and implementation of all HR initiatives, policies & procedures (including Employment Equity, Skills development, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, etc.)
- Ensuring/implementing a diversity friendly/inclusive workplace
Impact on Quality Management Systems
- Manage, implement and review PathCare’s technical standards according to professional guidelines/SOPs, etc.
- Liaise with discipline co-ordinators and local pathologists
- Comply with Quality Management Systems and Accreditation requirements
- Monitor & evaluate systems
- Identify and comply with training requirements including personal development
- Oversee supervision and training of students & new employees
Living the PathCare Value System
- Embody and embed PathCare’s values
Join the PathCare team and enjoy partnering with thought-leaders and experts in the pathology and diagnostics field while impacting on the lives of patients. Your contribution to the company will be rewarded with a market-related remuneration package which includes a subsidised pension fund, annual bonus, a health care allowance and discounted pathology tests. Through our partnership with The PathCare Academy, we emphasise our commitment to lifelong learning and development of our talent.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
PathCare supports mandatory vaccination as we believe we should be accountable in safeguarding the health and the wellbeing of all employees, patients, clients and visitors who access our facilities as well as for the protection of our families and all South Africans at large. In support of this stance, please note the following:
- As of 1st January 2022, PathCare will be implementing a mandatory vaccination policy. All PathCare employees will be expected to be vaccinated.
- All new employees will need to provide a copy of their vaccination certificate as proof or alternatively proof of their first vaccination prior to appointment and proof of the second vaccination prior to the completion of their probation period.
- Should any candidate have a valid medical reason as confirmed by an appropriately qualified medical practitioner and/or firmly held cultural/religious beliefs for not having the vaccination this needs to be declared upon your application for the position and will require additional motivation as per the exemption process defined in the COVID Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Further consideration to this may be given and exemption may apply, depending on the validity of the reason(s) provided as per the COVID Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
- Should Booster Vaccinations be required in the future, this will also be deemed mandatory as per the policy.
- Should you not be able to comply with the above, your application may not be successful in this process.
Applicants who feel that they have the comprehensive competencies and a proven track record as stipulated are required to complete the attached application form and submit this together with a comprehensive and compelling motivation and CV to email@example.com
A comprehensive pre-selection and short-listing process will be followed. An in-depth and comprehensive selection process will thereafter follow for those applicants who succeed in the initial pre-selection and short-listing process.
Please download and submit:
Closing date: Thursday, 27th January 2022
Please note: by applying for this position, your application will be subject to verification checks of your driver’s licence, ID document, qualifications/proof of registration, credit and criminal checks if required. Candidates must be willing to participate in a rigorous evaluation process.
PathCare is committed to the pursuit of excellence and diversity in achieving our equity targets and the organisation’s approved Employment Equity plan will be considered as part of the talent acquisition process. All qualified candidates including people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.